What To Expect
Every immersion workshop is tailored to the local ecosystem, setting up each day to be brimming with content and exploration. You should plan to clear your agenda and fully immerse yourself in the biomimicry experience. In Costa Rica, we’ll explore mangroves by kayak, snorkel among parrotfish in the coral reef, and discover the wonders of the rainforest with a local expert.
Upon completing this immersion workshop, you will be able to begin to integrate the practice of biomimicry in your work and life. The workshop experience will prepare you to:
- Identify sustainable innovation strategies in nature
- Understand functional objectives being achieved by forms, processes, and systems in nature
- Translate biological intelligence into relevant and applicable solutions and strategies
- Recognize and use Life’s Principles—design lessons from nature—that can be modeled to create innovative strategies and be used as sustainability benchmarks
It makes for a jam-packed seven days of full-on, biomimicry-based exploration.
Dr. Dayna Baumeister Co-founder, Biomimicry 3.8
Dr. Dayna Baumeister is the co-founder of Biomimicry 3.8. With a devotion to applied natural history and a passion for sharing the genius of nature, Dayna has worked in the field of biomimicry with business partner Janine Benyus since 1998, traveling the world as a biomimicry thought-leader, business consultant, and professor. Together they founded the Biomimicry Guild consulting practice, The Biomimicry Institute 501c3, and most recently, Biomimicry 3.8, a B-Corp social enterprise that helps clients find innovation inspired by nature and offers the highest level of biomimicry training to professionals worldwide.
Dayna’s foundational work has been critical to the biomimicry movement, establishing it as a fresh and innovative practice, as well as a philosophy to meet the world’s sustainability challenges. As an educator, researcher, and design consultant, Dayna has helped more than 100 companies consult the natural world for elegant and sustainable design solutions, including Nike, Interface, General Mills, Boeing, Herman-Miller, Kohler, Seventh Generation and Procter & Gamble.
Dayna is known for her engaging presentations and her ability to empower others to use biomimicry in every aspect of their work. She has been a featured speaker at the National Science Foundation, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, SXSW Eco 2015, GreenBuild Mexico City 2019, and countless other events.
Karen Allen Certified Biomimicry Professional, Restoration Ecologist
Karen Allen is a Certified Biomimicry Professional, biologist, and facilitator who is passionate about sharing the secrets of the natural world to inform sustainable innovations. She is a seasoned biomimicry educator, researcher, and consultant who has been practicing biomimicry on a variety of projects since 2000. An interdisciplinary science background and love of natural history help Karen translate nature’s strategies for architects, engineers, and designers. She co-instructs the Biomimicry Professional Certification Program, teaches the Biology Taught Functionally course through ASU Online, and protects and restores ecosystems, bringing a systems perspective to the practice of biomimicry.
Total cost = workshop fee ($2000 USD) + room & board ($2250, $2450, or $2800 USD depending on room choice)
Workshop fee of $2000, includes:
- Course Materials
- Kayak field trip to mangroves
- Snorkeling field trip, plus Corcavado National Park visit
- Parámo field trip
- Completion certificate
- Post-course resources and materials
- Biomimicry Foundational Course
- Biomimicry Resource Handbook digital copy
Inclusive logistics package includes:
- Delicious, organic, and often, locally harvested breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and non-alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is available for purchase.
- Flight, plus ground transportation from San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) airport to La Cusinga lodge
- Ground transportation from La Cusinga lodge back to San Jose
- Access to wellness facilities at La Cusinga, including a yoga studio and optional massage services.
- Overnight accommodations for six nights. All rooming types are limited and first-come, first-served. See photos of the rooms on La Cusinga’s website. All of La Cusinga’s rooms are built from sustainable reforested wood and designed for your comfort. Each room has a stunning view of the Pacific Ocean, the Balleña Marine National Park, and the rainforest.
Shared group room | $2,250 These large rooms have twin bunk beds, a private bathroom with two sinks and two showers, and an ocean view porch. The group room will have 4-6 people of the same gender; each person will have a full bunk to themselves (i.e. we don’t put someone on top and another on the bottom bed).
Shared double room en suite | $2,450 These shared rooms have two queen beds, a private en suite bathroom, and a balcony, porch or patio, often with a hammock. You may request a specific roommate or we will assign you a roommate of the same gender. One room is handicap accessible.
Private room en suite | $2,800 These rooms provide a comfortable queen or king-size bed, your own en suite bathroom, and either a balcony or patio.
All discounts have limited availability, are offered on a first-come, first serve basis, and may not be combined.
- Student discount – Enrolled university students save $250. Must upload copy of current student ID upon registration.
- Biomimicry Global Network member discount – Members of a local Biomimicry Global Network save $250. Must upload brief, written endorsement from local network leader upon registration.
- Group Discounts – Groups of 3 or more receive a tuition discount. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a discount code.
- Arizona State University student discount – Students currently rolled in a biomimicry program at ASU save $400. Must upload a copy of current student ID upon registration.
- B Corporation employee discount– Full-time employees of B corporations receive a $250 discount. Must upload an employee ID or proof of employment.
Register your interest
- Click here to read about specific policies and procedures.
- We recommend travel insurance give the unpredictable nature of the world right now. The venue has recommended this provider: INS https://www.ins-cr.com/
- Currently, the US requires a negative COVID test result taken less than 3 days prior to arriving in the US from an international destination. We will be arranging for a doctor to come to La Cusinga to administer the test should that policy still be in place or any participant need it for another country. Please contact us directly if you have further questions.
- See registration page 4 for details on our generous cancellation policy.