Since 1998 (and then founded as the Biomimicry Guild), we have consulted with companies and communities to find, vet, understand, and emulate life’s time-tested strategies. We inspire, inform, and empower the bridging of nature’s wisdom with human knowledge and experience. By emulating 3.8 billion years of well-adapted technology, we work with a select number of thought leaders and innovators — people and organizations who are transforming business models, markets, cities and entire industries — to help them design sustainable products and processes that create conditions conducive to all life.
What can nature teach us?
Life has been performing design experiments in Earth’s R&D lab for over 3.8 billion years. What is flourishing on the planet today are the best ideas–those that perform well in context, while economizing on energy and materials. Whatever your company’s design challenge, the odds are high that one or more of the world’s 30 million creatures has not only faced the same challenge, but has evolved effective strategies to solve it.
WHAT DO WE OFFER CLIENT ORGANIZATIONS?
• A proven process for sustainable innovation
• Tools to bring nature’s ideas into your design process
• Biologists who talk (and understand) your language
• A new way of seeing (and being) in the world
• A way to “do well by doing good”
• A chance to be a conservation leader
OUR COMPANY VISION
To naturalize biomimicry in the design profession in order to increase respect for the natural world and create well-adapted and life-friendly products and processes.
To create flow structure for ideas from biology to design by:
• Building tools
• Building capacity of people, and
• Supporting practitioners’ successes
OUR COLLABORATIVE FOCUS
Bio-inspired Innovation that leads to:
• Sustainable, well-adapted and life-friendly products and processes
• Solutions to major environmental challenges
• Respect for the natural world
• The naturalization of biomimicry in the design profession
HOW WE CAN HELP
For centuries, biologists have been in labs and fields taking notes on the adaptive strategies life has developed. Unfortunately, much of this information is inaccessible, locked up in technical, scientific papers written for other biologists, and rarely organized by engineering or design function.
Biomimicry 3.8 has proven methods and experience in accessing this information. We have a staff of biologists, known as BaDTs (Biologists at the Design Table), who excel at searching through biological research to find the natural strategies that meet your company’s challenges, and then assessing which of those designs, chemical recipes, or system strategies are most promising for your needs. Our staff is also adept at taking complex and technical biological data and translating it into language digestible by any business department, from marketing to R&D.
• Comprehensive Research into how nature has solved your company’s challenges.
• Strategic Advice on how your company can implement the most promising of nature’s strategies for your products and processes.
• Tools to help your company create sustainable, innovative, effective, cost-saving and life-friendly products and processes.
• Biologists at the Design Table who become part of your company’s team from brainstorm to prototype, continually adding biological insight to the process.
• Dial-a-Biologist on-call biology experts who can speak your language, answering technical questions and brainstorming ways that nature’s ideas can help improve a product or process.
• Lectures and Workshops to introduce biomimicry into your company’s innovation process.